Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Homemade Flea Repellent..

With the hot weather really gearing up here in TN, the fleas are starting to multiply. With 6 dogs I need something inexpensive to use a few times a week in addition to their baths. A few years back when fleas were worse than I had EVER seen, I starting searching the web for remedies! I found a few that seem to work but they must be used a few times a week. Since fleas hate the smell of vinegar I take a NEW spray bottle (as I don't want to re-use an old cleaning bottle for this) and mix 1/2  white vinegar and half water, and spray it on my dogs every 2-3 days. I also mop my floors with vinegar, and spray under my couch cushions etc. Another thing I use is lemon water. At night before bed I boil a large pot of water. When it gets to a boil a cut a few lemons in it and let it steep overnight. The next morning, i squeeze the juice out and pour into a clean spray bottle and spray the animals with this, and anything left over, I will pour it into my mop bucket and mop with it as well. If the dogs are really infested I will use Blue Dawn dish soap (recommended by a Vet) and then follow up with their regular oatmeal bath.

Note: You can also add some Apple Cider Vinegar to your pets drinking water to help detour the fleas.

**This is not for everyone** This is just what works for ME and my pets. Use your own discretion before using these remedies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive